Steam is an online based software distribution platform that delivers video games to its subscribers. It caters different genre of games like RPG, Simulation, Sports, etc. Recording game on Steam is important when it’s needed to record a new trick or a game achievement. Some may want to record game so that they can share it with their friends online. There are different ways on how to record Steam games. To understand it clearly, some of the best methods are shown as this post goes on.
Top Ways to Capture Steam Games
1. Utilize Apowersoft Screen Recorder Pro
In recording Steam games, one of the best tools that you can use is Apowersoft Screen Recorder Pro. This feature-packed application is designed to help users record their desktop activities, with various recording modes to choose. This tool also supports different audio input source, such as system sound, microphone or both. Thus, you can make use of it to record the background music of steam games and add your commentary to the recorded video. In addition, this Steam game recorder also allows you to add annotation like arrows, lines, text and many more while recording games.
Here’s how to capture Steam games using this application.
- Download and install this program by hitting the download icon below.
- Once it is installed, forward to “Tools” then “Options” and then configure the necessary settings that you want for your recording.
- Now open the Steam game that you want to record. When you’re on the game scene to capture, back to the screen recorder. And click the downward arrow besides the record button and select “Region” to start the recording.
- Next, drag the cross-hair along the potion to capture Steam game, release it and then hit Ok. Then just play the game for recording it.
- To end the recording, simply click the stop button and the recorded video will be saved automatically to the output folder that you’ve set.
Tips: To instantly record the portion of the game that you wish, you can do it by using Task Scheduler function. All you need to do is to set the start time, duration, and the recording region.
Moreover, this program has a lighter free online version, which is efficient and convenient to use. To use it, simply navigate to its webpage and hit the “Start Recording” button to launch it.
2. Make use of Bandicam
Another way to record Steam games is by using Bandicam. This program is a well-known video recorder that enables users to capture Steam gameplay. It features the ability to compress recorded file in a much smaller size, record continuously for 24 hours, and enables 4k Ultra HD recording. After recording, this screencast tool enables you to upload the video clip for sharing it on YouTube. This is indeed a decent recorder to use in capturing games on Steam.
To use this application, just follow these steps.
- Go to its official page and download this tool.
- Open the recorder and then choose a mode like “DirectX” for gameplay recording.
- Play the Steam game that you want to record, then resume to the recorder and hit the record button.
- And to stop the recording, simply click the red stop icon on the top right of the toolbar.
In spite of its popularity, this application has some drawbacks. Some users may complain about the annoying watermark in trial version and the noisy noise it generates.
3. Use Fraps
This is also a popular tool in recording Steam games on PC. This application is available in free and paid version. Unlike above programs, this Steam game recording software has a 30 second limitations in the free version. For a longer recording, availing the pro version is a must. Fraps has 2 recording modes, one for desktop recording and the second one for recording game using “DirectX”, making it somewhat identical with Bandicam.
To use this tool, here are the steps.
- Download it from its webpage.
- Launch the app and set the hotkeys that you want to trigger the recoding. (F9 is the most common hotkey that is being used for recording.)
- After that, play the Steam game to capture then press the hotkey that you’ve set. This will instantly start the recording.
- To stop the recording, press the hotkey once again and your recorded file will be stored on the output folder.
In spite of these, many users are not happy with the 30 seconds’ free trial and it affects in-game performance since it lags a lot. Plus, watermark is also attached for trial version.
Those are the ways on how to record Steam games effectively. Among them, Apowersoft Screen Recorder Pro has the edge over the other. This is due to the added functions that this tool has, such as an annotating tool, screen capture function, task scheduler and others.